Saturday, October 8, 2016

Synchronous Poetry, Part II

A while back I wrote about "synchronous poetry" in my life; well, it happened again. While I was on retreat before entering the novitiate, one poem upon which I reflected was Covenant by Sr. Margaret Halaska, OSF. A few weeks after that, I came across it again in a book on the Enneagram as I paged through the section on Ones, my Enneagram number.

     The Father
     Knocks at my door
     Seeking a home for his son: 

     Rent is cheap, I say.

     I don’t want to rent. I want to buy, says God.

     I’m not sure I want to sell, but you might come in to look around.

     I think I will, says God.

     I might let you have a room or two.

     I like it, says God. I’ll take the two. You might decide to give me more some day.
     I can wait, says God.

     I’d like to give you more,
     but it’s a bit difficult. I need some space for me.

     I know, says God, but I’ll wait.
     I like what I see.

     Hm, maybe I can let you have another room.
     I really don’t need that much.

     Thanks, says God, I’ll take it. I like what I see.

     I’d like to give you the whole house
     but I’m not sure –

     Think on it, says God. I wouldn’t put you out.
     Your house would be mine and my son would live in it.
     You’d have more space than you’d ever had before.

     I don’t understand at all.

     I know, says God, but I can’t tell you about that.
     You’ll have to discover it for yourself.
     That can only happen if you let him have the whole house.

     A bit risky, I say.

     Yes, says God, but try me.

     I’m not sure – I’ll let you know.

     I can wait, says God. I like what I see.

I cannot imagine a time in life when this poem wouldn't be a good reminder and reflection. It feels especially fitting in these beginning weeks of the novitiate - a reminder of God's infinite love for me and an opportunity to reflect on the call to return everything to my Creator. Noticing God at work in my life always leads to new questions arising in my heart.

Do I live out of a response to God's love for me?
Am I living a life in which I am answering my call?

I imagine I'll be encountering this poem a few more times down the road!

Let us walk in the holy presence.

Pax in Terra: A Meditation from Pema Chödrön

" One of the astronauts who went to the moon later described his experience looking back at Earth from that perspective. Earth looked s...