Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Season's Greetings (or, how community will get me through winter)

As many of you know, winter ranks seventh on my list of favorite seasons.

The darkness and the cold create a certain bitterness for me, making me rather impatient waiting for spring to bloom and light and warmth to return.

So, half a year ago I packed my bags and moved to Erie, a city that perennially ranks on the list of snowiest U.S. cities.

What?!

What was I thinking?

Well, as you also know, it turns out that I moved to Erie to enter the Benedictine community here. And one responsibility we all share is wo-manning the front desk each day.

Tonight, as I took my turn, I was greeted by two sisters offering me a sign of winter joy after we received another few inches of white today.


Then, when another sister saw Frosty, she brought a little "snowy ground" to add to the wintery scene. (Which also served to catch the melting snow!)


All of this served to put a smile on my face. Now, I may not like winter, but I like knowing that community makes it a little brighter.

Let us walk in the holy presence.

Pax in Terra: A Meditation from Pema Chödrön

" One of the astronauts who went to the moon later described his experience looking back at Earth from that perspective. Earth looked s...