Wednesday, September 9, 2015

I Have Called You By Name

Hello, Nation! (Yes, I am excited about Stephen Colbert's premiere on the Late Show; some things don't change.) This, too, is a premiere of sorts for me - a new adventure within a much bigger new adventure.

It has now been a week and a half since the Benedictine Sisters of Erie officially welcomed me into their community as a postulant. When friends back on the east coast of Pennsylvania asked how they would know what was happening in my life, I said I was thinking about writing a blog to update everyone.

Blogs are a wonderful, potentially creative way to inform many people, but blogs need names. And, with hopes that this might be something that lasts over time, I wanted to be sure that I chose the perfect title.

I received a few suggestions and came up with a few of my own, but I figured I would know when I found "the one," just as I had known that I found "the one" worth exploring when I encountered this particular community.

We, as a community, pray the Liturgy of the Hours together three times each day: morning, midday, and evening. This involves singing and reciting Scripture from the Psalms and other books of the Bible. On Sunday morning, as we were praying together, one verse (from Isaiah) stood out among the other verses:


Let us walk in the holy presence.

I remembered this line from a vocation visit while I was still seeking with the Erie Benedictines. I wrote it down back then. I remembered thinking that the image of this verse was beautiful. Then, I knew I had my title:

Walking In The Holy Presence

So, this is the premiere of my blog where I will tell you all about my journey. The title will also serve as the theme for my writing: to let you know where and how I am walking in the Presence of God through my new vocation. When you walk, where do you feel Holy Presence?

I hope you will join me on the path!

Let us walk in the holy presence.

Pax in Terra: A Meditation from Pema Chödrön

" One of the astronauts who went to the moon later described his experience looking back at Earth from that perspective. Earth looked s...