Monday, August 9, 2021

The Great Lakes Region

What is better than this little part of the world in summertime? This week I will head off to experience another area of the region that I am growing to love more and more as I travel to Lake Michigan, specifically the west coast of the state. I've never explored Michigan before, and with so many glowingly positive reports from people I trust, I surely look forward to all it has to offer.

Will the perch sandwich taste different?!

As for now, a few sights from Lake Erie during the season I adore...
Seems appropriate that the acronym we learned in school to memorize the names of these lakes spells "HOMES."

And, as always, a Mary Oliver for the road.

Let us walk in the holy presence.

Forgive Me
Mary Oliver

Angels are wonderful but they are so, well, aloof.
It’s what I sense in the mud and the roots of the
trees, or the well, or the barn, or the rock with
its citron map of lichen that halts my feet and
makes my eyes flare, feeling the presence of some
spirit, some small god, who abides there.

If I were a perfect person, I would be bowing
continuously.
I’m not, though I pause wherever I feel this
holiness, which is why I’m so often late coming
back from wherever I went.

Forgive me.

My current joy is this hummingbird. I know it's him because he seems to have lost some of the feathers on his head, making him a distinct sight compared to the others who stop by. He visits each morning, and we greet each other. He returns many times throughout the day, always a welcome visitor.

Summer fruit becomes summer pies!


Inner-city beauty. Purple and yellow next to each other across the street from the Art House, and a passion flower which climbs the fence at the soup kitchen.


A visit to Wintergreen Gorge with my sisters...always fascinated by the roots and the stories they tell. And I just loved this mushroom, clearly soaking up the sun's rays, just like me!

Pax in Terra: A Meditation from Pema Chödrön

" One of the astronauts who went to the moon later described his experience looking back at Earth from that perspective. Earth looked s...