Saturday, January 11, 2020

This Day, and Probably Also Tomorrow


We are spending a week in Eagle Pass, TX doing ministry work at the U.S.A./Mexico border. I could not help but share this image of the sky looking westward into Mexico the other night, as well as this Mary Oliver poem that I came across for the first time while here. 

This Day, and Probably Also Tomorrow

Full of thought, regret, hope dashed or not dashed yet,
full of memory, pride, and more than enough
of spilled, personal grief,

I begin another page, another poem,

So many notions fill the day! I give them
gowns of words, sometimes I give them
little shoes that rhyme. 

What an elite life!

While somewhere someone is kissing a face that is crying. 
While somewhere women are walking out, at two in the morning—
     many miles to find water. 
While somewhere a bomb is getting ready to explode. 

Until I return...

Let us walk in the holy presence. 

Pax in Terra: A Meditation from Pema Chödrön

" One of the astronauts who went to the moon later described his experience looking back at Earth from that perspective. Earth looked s...