Sunday, July 21, 2019

There Is Need of Only Rhythm

Jesus entered a village
where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him.
She had a sister named Mary
who sat beside at his feet listening to him speak.
Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said,
"Do you not care
that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving?
Tell her to help me."
Jesus said to her in reply,
"Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.
There is need of only one thing.
Mary has chosen the better part
and it will not be taken from her."

(Luke 10:38-42)


The gospel story of Mary and Martha has long been a favorite of mine, with the reasons why evolving. And I was thrilled to see that it was today’s gospel reading, especially since one of my favorite presiders said our Liturgy.

George is a bit of a “mystical presider,” and when you listen to his homilies, you simply have to be ready to let it take you where it’s going to go. Today he said of Mary and Martha, “It’s rhythmic,” and I just loved that.

So often I let my Martha side get the best of me, especially when I am trying to focus on my Mary side. Or vice versa.

In my contemplation, I worry, “Am I serving enough?”
In my serving, I worry, “Am I contemplating enough?”

Rather than get anxious about what’s right for me, I just want to be present to life, however it is presenting itself at the moment.

How do we live into the peace of our own rhythms?

Let us walk in the holy presence.

contemplative summer cooking

Pax in Terra: A Meditation from Pema Chödrön

" One of the astronauts who went to the moon later described his experience looking back at Earth from that perspective. Earth looked s...