Friday, August 17, 2018

Adventures in Baking, Humility, and Community

As someone who loves spending time in the kitchen (My dream job in second grade was to be a chef.), I enjoy taking on a new culinary challenge. The newest challenge is a pastry, a tart to be exact—something I've never made before.

I found a delicious recipe for a salted-caramel chocolate tart, and a trip to New York next week was the perfect reason to finally make it, in order to be shared with our host. So, off I went.


Here is the crust after the butter had been incorporated. I kneaded it a few times and formed it into a disk shape to be chilled. Then, onto the salted-caramel filling.



Those are the pictures pre- and post-butter.

I got the first two parts done Wednesday evening. Thursday night it was time to bake the crust, again, something I've never done. But, I began rolling it out...


And, I was pleased with the results.


So, I got it into the oven, and when the crust was done, I looked at it, amazed at how beautiful it was. I was so darn excited about the crust, and I began to pull it out of the oven.

And, here comes humility...

Because literally the next second...


Straight on the floor! I was stunned/devastated. Of course, just after it happened, one of my sisters walked by and immediately began helping me to clean it up. What a gift. Another sister came by with equal compassion.

I had no idea what to do. At first I thought I would just give up and arrive empty-handed, which would have been fine, but I also knew I could start again without too much of a hassle. ("Always we begin again.") I re-made the dough and chilled it last night. This morning I had a successful bake. Tonight I will fill it with the caramal filling and top it with a chocolate ganache.

Say a few prayers for me! As the cliche goes, "Life is the best teacher."

Stories from New York to follow—Until then...

Let us walk in the holy presence.

Pax in Terra: A Meditation from Pema Chödrön

" One of the astronauts who went to the moon later described his experience looking back at Earth from that perspective. Earth looked s...