Sunday, June 24, 2018

God Moments

I have been given the gift of participating in the first Joan Chittister Institute for Contemporary Spirituality here at the Mount this past week. (We continue through next week, too.) Seriously, what a gift.

We have eight young women here (and for the most part younger than I, which is another eye-opening experience while living in the world of religious life) and they have such a fire to live their faith. Their passion is enlivening; their wisdom and knowledge are rich; their lives are authentic; their beliefs—holy.

One of the first days we talked about prayer, and Joan commented that she would not ask someone, “Did you pray today?” but rather, “Have you had a God moment today?”

I appreciated that question not only because I have had plenty of God moments surrounded by these women, but because it helps me broaden my perspective on what it means to live a truly prayerful life.

One God moment occurred on Thursday when I had an appointment after lunch. I was also going to the store, and one of the participants (from Australia) asked to come along. I got to show her Wegman’s and actually pay attention to that small souvenir section which I’d never done before. I had heard her say that she wanted to take a photo of a boat, so we stopped along the bayfront, and we finished by picking up some fresh strawberries from the farm. It wasn’t that she came along; it was the rich conversation that we shared even though we have only known each other for a week, less at the time. We connected about on the topic of faith, mentors, and life in general.

What a God moment it was.

Let us walk in the holy presence.


Pax in Terra: A Meditation from Pema Chödrön

" One of the astronauts who went to the moon later described his experience looking back at Earth from that perspective. Earth looked s...