Saturday, February 10, 2018

Learning by Teaching

Some years back I was walking down the street in Philadelphia (Fly, Eagles, Fly!) with a mentor of mine who guided me as a new teacher. I spotted a fortune from a fortune cookie on the ground and picked it up. It read, “One learns most from teaching others.”

If I didn’t I believe it then (Spoiler: I did.), I certainly do after spending the past few weeks in the company of infants at work. The room where I currently spend my days is full of seven infants ranging from two months old to just under a year.

One such darling is a premature baby who looks about half of her ripe, young age of eight months. Precious in every way, she pretty much steals your heart whenever you look at her. The other day I spent plenty of time looking at her while I fed her lunch—sweet potatoes. Since she is so tiny, her mouth is small, too. Eating takes quite a bit of time compared to those toddlers, but as I quickly realized that we wouldn’t be operating on my time schedule, I centered myself and entered into her presence, lingering over the meal. (Perhaps she was helping me practice for my own dinner that night!) We sat together as she ate spoonfuls no larger than the size of a fingernail until she decided she didn’t want anymore. The process of being attentive to this sweet girl certainly slowed me down a bit.

Patience is a virtue, and how grateful I am to learn it from these babes.

Let us walk in the holy presence.

Niagara Falls in winter

Pax in Terra: A Meditation from Pema Chödrön

" One of the astronauts who went to the moon later described his experience looking back at Earth from that perspective. Earth looked s...