Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Total Freedom

I spent some time earlier today trying to figure out what I wanted to write in this entry. Then, I was laying in bed (after finishing a Netflix cooking show, of course) and I realized: You never wrote on the blog today, Val.

So, my mind starting going again deciding what to write. I had about twenty different ideas pass through my head, and then I realized: You can write about whatever you want, Val. So, I decided I would just write about something completely unrelated to any of my ideas.

Jeopardy!

On Tuesday night, we were watching as the new champion began his second day on the show. It was very close to Final Jeopardy. The contestant had a little over $19,000, and he landed on the Daily Double. How much did he wager? Well, $19,000, of course.

I was appalled. How could he possibly do such a stupid thing?

But as I think about it some more, how wonderful that he wagered $19,000! And maybe he was just being greedy, but maybe not. Maybe it didn't matter to him if he lost everything because taking the risk was totally worth it. Maybe he felt an incredible sense of freedom, not worrying about what would happen if it didn't work out the way he hoped. Maybe he was giving me an opportunity to watch someone living free of the outcome. Maybe one day I will learn how to do that, too.

Let us walk in the holy presence.

Pax in Terra: A Meditation from Pema Chödrön

" One of the astronauts who went to the moon later described his experience looking back at Earth from that perspective. Earth looked s...